Boehringer Ingelheim is currently seeking a Mass Spectrometrist (Senior Scientist) to join the Material and Analytical Sciences department located at our Ridgefield, CT. facility. As an employee, you will actively contribute to the design, development and implementation of mass spectrometry and separation science technologies to solve challenging pharmaceutically related structural problems focusing on the structure elucidation and characterization of active pharmaceutical ingredients. Our global presence provides opportunity to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and the potential to directly contribute to the company's success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees and foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing, implementing and interpreting LC-MS based analytical methods (ESI/APCI MS, MS/MS and GC/MS) to solve complex analytical problems that advance the development of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs).
- Performs qualitative and quantitative GC-MS, LC-MS, and “wet” chemistry (isolation, extraction and derivatization).
- Explores innovative analytical technologies and emerging platforms to meet the needs of an evolving portfolio that may include novel molecular modalities and new therapeutic areas.
- Develops, tests and writes analytical methods and operating procedures based upon project requirements related to the characterization of molecules by LC/MS and GC/MS techniques .
- Supports work from cross-functional and international project teams and effectively manages the prioritization to meet multiple project goals and timelines.
- Conducts regular performance and preventive maintenance of laboratory instruments / equipment and performs troubleshooting of analytical test methods and laboratory instrumentation.
- Has the ability to detail experimental set-up, results and findings in an electronic notebook, perform expert analysis and interpretation of data and prepare well-written scientific reports.
- Complies with all safety and housekeeping practices based upon company policies and requirements.
Required Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, or equivalent, with strong background in Mass Spectrometry and 1-3 years in the pharmaceutical industry. Candidates receiving Ph.D. in 2022 are also eligible to apply.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Desired Experience Skills and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, or equivalent with strong background in mass spectrometry.
- Hands-on experience in the application of mass spectrometry and chromatographic techniques (LC/MS, GC/MS) for the analysis of APIs, degradants, impurities, metabolites, natural products, biopolymers etc.
- Strong background in theoretical and experimental organic chemistry to propose the origin of unknown components.
- Proven track record of successfully developing and applying LC-MS or LC-MS/MS methods to solve complex structural problems.
- Experience with mass spectrometry data collection and interpretation of oligonucleotides is highly desired.
- Hands on experience with MALDI (metabolites, peptides, proteins) or MALDI Imagining is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving ability in experimental design, execution, data interpretation and troubleshooting with limited supervision.
- Evidence of a scientific record through publications and presentations at professional conferences.
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic international team environment with cross-functional interactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment background investigations and drug screenings. Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
Nina C. Gonnella, Ph.D.
Senior Associate Director
Material and Analytical Sciences
Boehringer Ingelheim Inc.
900 Ridgebury Rd.
Ridgefield, CT 06877